Florence-Lauderdale Public Library
Meeting Room Policy
The Florence-Lauderdale Public Library provides meeting rooms for use by community groups and organizations when space is available. The primary purpose of these Library meeting rooms is to serve the needs of Library-sponsored programs and services; such functions shall always have priority.
The Meeting Rooms are primarily available to the following types of groups:
- Political organizations provided that the meeting is not related to specific candidates or campaigns and does not include fund raising
- Employee groups of commercial firms licensed to do business in the local area provided that the room is not used for sales, promotional, or profit-making ventures ($150 non-refundable fee for a four hour meeting, and $300 for an eight hour meeting, payable prior to meeting)
- Profit-making organizations licensed to do business in the local area sponsoring educational programs of a non-profit nature, provided the meetings are open to the public ($150 for a four hour meeting, and $300 for an eight hour meeting, non-refundable fee per meeting, payable prior to meeting)
- Commercial firms not licensed in the local area must have the approval from the Executive Director to schedule the room.
Library meeting rooms may not be used for the following:
- Private functions or purely social gatherings, including parties, recitals, ceremonies, banquets
- Fund-raising activities, except those for which the Library is the beneficiary
- Commercial ventures
Guidelines for Use
- All meetings must be open to the general public.
- Meeting rooms are available for use only during the operational hours of the Library. Groups are expected to be out of the Library by closing time.
- Admission and/or participation fees may not be charged except where the charge is nominal and for a nonprofit educational purpose. Such fees must be noted on the meeting room application and are subject to approval by the Library Director.
- The distribution and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited.
- Simple foods, such as boxed lunches and finger foods, may be served by groups using the meeting rooms. All utensils, serving necessities, and paper products must be supplied by the group using the room. Coffee and filters for the coffee maker must also be supplied. The group is responsible for leaving the kitchenette in its original condition. Food served in the meeting rooms may not be taken into other areas of the Library.
- Banners, literature, or other signage may not be placed anywhere in the Library without the Library Director’s permission. Nothing should be hung on meeting room walls or furniture without approval of hanging material, i.e. tape, push pins, etc., by the Library Director.
- Rooms are assigned on a first come basis. The Library reserves the right to relocate a group within the Library if circumstances warrant.
- In the unlikely event the Library needs to preempt a scheduled meeting room event, every effort will be made to accommodate the event.
- Room setup is the responsibility of the group using the meeting room. Any requests for special equipment or furnishings must be made at time of application.
- Groups of individuals under the age of 21 must have an adult sponsor in attendance at their meetings at all times.
- Children must be supervised at all times. The Library is not responsible for children left unattended in the Library while their parent or guardian attends a function in the meeting room.
- Persons attending meetings are subject to all Library rules and regulations. Excessive noise or disruption to the functions of the Library is not permitted. The Library reserves the right to stop meetings that are disruptive to Library operations.
- The Library may deny use of the room to a group who has abused its past privileges in using the meeting rooms or other Library facilities.
- Groups may not use the Library as their mailing address, nor may they state or imply that the Library sponsors or endorses their meeting.
- The Library meeting rooms must be left in a clean and orderly condition, including the kitchenette, if used. The Library will be responsible for routine vacuuming, sweeping, and emptying of waste cans. Tables, chairs, and equipment must be returned to their original arrangements after each meeting.
- The person signing the application form is considered responsible for any charges associated with repairs of damage to facilities and/or for any fees associated with necessary extra cleaning.
- The Library is not responsible for items left in its facilities. Storage space is not available for group equipment or other items.
- Groups may be required to provide written documentation (such as a charter, bylaws, articles of incorporation, etc.) as to the nature of their group to the Library Director prior to approval for use of the meeting room.
Applying for Use of a Meeting Room
- Application forms are available on the Library website (www.flpl.org) and at the front desk of the Library.
- Groups applying for a series of meetings may fill out one application form in advance of the first meeting accompanied by a schedule of future meeting dates and times.
- Reservations will not be made for more than one year in advance, including reservations by groups applying for a series of meeting dates or a “standing” schedule of meetings.
- Request for kitchenette use must be made at time of application.
- Requests for any special equipment must be made at time of application. A refundable fee may be charged for certain equipment (see application) and must be paid at time of application.
- Payment, if required, is due at the time of application.
Descriptions of the Rooms
Conference Room The Conference Room is approximately 34’ × 24’ and will comfortably seat 75 people in theater formation. There are 10 banquet size tables and 10 workshop size tables, as well as 100 chairs available for use. The room has a drop-down projection screen; projection equipment, TV/VCR, a podium and a dry erase board are available upon request. Some equipment may be subject to a non-refundable usage fee (see application). Access to the kitchenette is available.
Board Room The Board Room is approximately 26’ × 15’ and is furnished with a table and 14 matching chairs. There is room for a few more chairs and/or tables to be brought in if necessary. The main table cannot be moved. The room has a drop-down projection screen and a conference phone (local calls only); projection equipment, TV/VCR, a podium and a dry-erase board are available upon request. Some equipment may be subject to a non-refundable usage fee (see application). Access to the kitchenette is available.
Kitchenette The kitchenette is accessible to both meeting rooms. Appliances available for use include a sink, dishwasher, refrigerator, ice maker, microwave oven, and electric coffee maker.
Approved by Library Board 4/8/03
Revised 07/23/08, 07/13/10